October 1, 2021
Our community expert in residence, Monica Silvestre, now Head of Global Community, Creators @ Canva, shared her secret sauce for international growth, from hiring unicorn community managers and firestarter community evangelists to step-by-step execution.
If you missed Community Hacked Ep.4, you could now watch it on-demand.
Here are a few key takeaways:
- Look for Unicorn Community Builders 🦄
- Look for cowboys (or cowgirls) and wranglers 🤠
- 10x International Community Growth Playbook 🔥
- Find active users and influencers with the local community
- Connect with them in a non-scalable way and identify their goals
- Create win/win/win partnership between your organization, local influencers & community
- Activate superusers and create a high-engagement campaign or event
- Hire from your local community directly and watch it grow!
Community Builder is an external-facing role. You need to have empathy, woo factor, ability to read the room. A unicorn community builder does events, marketing, partnerships, social media and possesses strong communication and storytelling skills.
Nuts and bolts skills are not enough. You need the right attitude. Cowboys are go-getters and risk-takers when it is time to act. Wranglers are more conservative and resourceful. You will have to balance both mindsets to succeed.
The variation of this playbook worked in Brazil, Turkey & Russia, so there’s a high chance it will work for your local community too.